Pages

Monday, July 26, 2004

6. Do you keep your identity relatively anonymous?

Or do your friends and colleagues all know and have access to it? Why do you keep it so?

My close friends know that I write it, but otherwise, I think it is fairly anonymous, whatever that means. I mean, I put in my photo in it so, if my neighbor sees my website, they would know instantly that it’s me. Unless they are blind. Anyhoo, braille doesn’t do me justice, it makes my nose too big.

But beyond that, I don’t think that people can google my real name and find my website. I don’t name any companies that I work for or put any last names. I have actually gone back and fixed any entries where it may make it too easy to find me. But I suppose if you really do your research by looking for the people I link to, you could find out a lot of information about me.

I keep it “anonymous” for the sake of protecting myself, primarily for professional reasons. As a gay man, I think that American society has not advanced to a stage where I could be open about my sexuality in the workplace. I could still get fired, especially because I write about some adult-oriented or sexually explicit situations or because I have better hair than my straight counterparts.

However, having said that, I am not sure if there are people who have contact with me that don’t tell me that they read my blog. It is very possible that ex-boyfriends, casual friends, neighbors, ex-classmates, etc., have recognized me but don’t maintain contact, have read my blog.

I myself have stumbled upon other people whom I recognize from my neighborhood or from gay bars who have blogs or websites. Well, most of them require an AdultCheck password, but hey, who am I to judge?


NEXT: My Autobifictionalography


previous question back to no milk please next question

No comments: