Pages

Monday, July 26, 2004

3. What motivated you to start a blog?

There are two reasons. The first one was because I wanted to write movie reviews, and I thought that blogging provided the tools for instant journalism. I thought that I would create a portfolio this way, ultimately showing it to newspapers or something.

I sucked at it. I didn’t have a point of view. It was more like an "It rocked, I saw some penis in it" or "I hate it, it sucks. The acting was bad, and what about her hair" kinda stuff. I think it would have been more interesting if I pretended I was a Drag Queen movie critic who focused on couture in film, or an Asian guy who railed on the use Asian stereotypes (this was before I found Angry Asian Man’s blog). But I didn’t think I could keep up the pretense.

The second reason was that I wanted to write, or have some kind of creative outlet. I think I am a creative person at heart. I like to do graphic design, draw, doodle, whatever strikes my fancy.

I have been a "writer" my whole life (except that dark time in the 80s when I thought I was a breakdancer). I have written the requisite bad poetry, tedious screenplay, sucky comedy routine, derivative movie pitch and not-quite-serious novel. In a way, this blog is just another manifestation of my mediocrity.

I don’t have any particular agenda when I blog. My ideas come from conversations, dreams or sitting on the pot. If I discuss any political or religious event, it is only because I get riled up. More often than not, I write about things that happen in my life: friends, my job, farting.


NEXT: You're a Blogger? Keep your day job!


previous question back to no milk please next question

No comments: