Pages

Monday, July 26, 2004

9. Describe your blogging experience so far.

The thing about blogging of course is that most people who do say anything to you about your blog are more or less flattering. You almost never hear the “you suck” variety, which when it happens, really upsets me.

I have had a few people write insults or pronounce my writing as “awful” or “trite” or “self-indulgent,” which quite probably, is true. I really hate my own writing. I find it very surprising when people do like it and respond to it. I am not sure whether they are responding to the topics itself and just glossing over how bad my writing is or if they really like it. I am not sure. It is hard to read minds over the Internet, my crystal ball doesn’t have a USB port.

Whenever I chance upon a really terrible blog, I try to focus on the positive in my comments because I know how hard it is to write anything at all. I also know what kind of emotional effect criticism can be regardless of how well meaning you are. Besides, most bloggers don’t even pretend to be literary; they are just blogging, or posting. They are not writing literature. For me to come and say, “hey, you need to re-write this paragraph” or “this is boring” would be just plain arrogant of me.

So, when I say the comments in my blog are of the “you’re wonderful” or “I love your writing” variety, I have to take it with a bushel of salt because I am not sure if they are just being nice.

So what does this mean? Do I want to invite real constructive criticism? Yes and no. I would like to learn to write better, but at the same time I don’t know if I can deal with it.

In terms of the blog itself, I am very happy with it. I have a sense of accomplishment of having my writing out there. I feel that I have learnt a lot in the course of this blog.

I wish that I have more time to read other people’s blogs. I wish I had the time to create friendships beyond the surface level, but that’s the irony of blogs: we expose ourselves, make ourselves vulnerable only because we are relatively anonymous and ultimately retain control.


NEXT: This is truly revolutionary


previous question back to no milk please next question

No comments: