Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

My Definition of Irony

My definition of irony is "something that is the opposite of its meaning." I guess this is pretty vague and irony as a literary device is more complicated than that, including intent of author, blah blah blah. I can't be bothered to look it up anymore, I've done it too many times already.

Yes, a gay "Butch", butch "Nelly", or a poor "Rich" is not necessarily ironic or a true irony. It could be just coincidence.

Who cares about irony anyway? Haven't you heard? Irony is dead.

In our current culture of everything-is-ironic it is more ironic to be irony-free. That turned your head around, huh? Well, that's irony (or not) for you.

Lelaina: I mean, these job interviews, Troy... The word "vivisection" a staggering understatement. I mean, can you define irony?
Troy: It's when the actual meaning is the complete opposite from the literal meaning.
Lelaina: My God, where were you when I needed you today?

- Reality Bites

Ok ok ok, when I was discussing irony and its definition with Annie, I told her my definition and she said that it was not what irony meant, saying that Ethan's definition above was the be-all and end-all of irony definitions. My definition is like two words short of this definition, which is the same for all intents and purposes, so I don't understand what she was thinking, probably Ethan Hawke's penis or something.

-----

Irony, Nostalgia and the Post-Modern
Oh wait, I spoke too soon. Irony is not dead. Long live irony!
Irony Survives
What Ever Happened to...the Age of the End of Irony?
The End of the Age of Irony: a poem

1 comment:

total said...

Yeah, THAT was a really interesting post ... (!)

No but seriously!: Whenever I think of the definition of irony I'm reminded of that movie, and Ben Stiller's mom informing Winona of what the word really meant.

I bet a lot of people out there got there definition of irony from Reality Bites.

No, I'm being serious.

Sheesh. That's the peril of the ironic age: Are you saying what you mean?

Remember the Homerpalooza episode of the Simpsons?

"Oh, yeah, HE'S cool."
"Um ... dude, are you being sarcastic?"
"[Heavy sigh] I don't even know anymore!"

Who among us does?